Analysis - Alcohol a bright spot for pessimistic Russia
Alcoholic drinks in Russia are deemed "advantaged"
A note from Bernstein this week has highlighted an increasingly pessimistic mood among Russian consumers.
The company surveyed 800 consumers on the economic situation in their country, covering a range of packaged goods, including beverages. It is part of Bernstein's wider consumer survey in the BRIC countries, and shows that Russia is the most downbeat of the four.
There is good news, though: Despite half of the respondents believing that the Russian economy is getting worse (compared to 17% in China and 41% in Brazil), Bernstein concludes that alcoholic drinks is one of the few “advantaged” categories in the country.
That chimes with recent analysts' suggestions that Carlsberg, the country's beer market leader, may be finally nearing the end of its problems there. According to Nomura last month, changes to regulations governing the sale of alcohol in Russia have been completed and the outlook for the market is correspondingly stable. This year is likely to be the “inflection point for volumes”, Nomura said.
Overall, however, sentiment in Bernstein's consumer survey was disappointingly drab. Only 22% of respondents felt that Russia's economy was improving, compared to 49% and 36% for China and Brazil, respectively. This was down on last year, when a similar survey found 30% thought the market was getting better.
It seems that, in economic matters at least, the outlook for Russia remains uncertain.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Beer in Russia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains de...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends