UK: AG Barr, Britvic merger delayed but still on - analyst
The merger was expected to take place this month
Wayne Brown, analyst at Canaccord Genuity, today (14 February) called the Office of Fair Trading's (OFT) decision to refer the deal to the Competition Commission “rather bewildering” but said that both companies should continue to work towards their goal. “We remain confident that this referral represents a delay to the merger and remain confident of a positive resolution,” Brown said.
The note was released just ahead of the companies confirming they will fight their case with the Competition Commission.
Yesterday, the OFT said the referral was due to concerns it could reduce competition between Britvic's Pepsi and Tango brands and Barr’s Irn Bru and Orangina brands.
Brown said competition concerns could be dealt with through the termination of licensing Orangina in the UK, and the sale of smaller non-core brands. He also noted that Orangina only accounts for about GBP5m (US$7.7m) to GBP10m in sales for Britvic: “Hardly a competitive stumbling block in a soft drinks market worth GBP9bn.”
Shareholders from both companies has previously approved the merger last month and it had been expected to complete by the end of February.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research